Live in Topeka
TOPEKA IS ONE OF THE MOST “LIVABLE” CITIES IN THE U.S.
Recent national surveys rank Topeka high for quality of life attributes including:
- Topeka was ranked as the 9th top well-being small community in 2012 by Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which measures physical health, emotional health, healthy behaviors, work environment, and more.
- Topeka was rated 30th among all cities ranked in the Gallup-Healthways study of health and well-being. The Topeka MSA jumped up to the impressive ranking of 30 from 178 in 2009. And, Topeka was ranked number five on the list of Top 10 Small Cities when all cities were divided by population.
- The Topeka MSA was ranked #17 of the Top 25 Best Cities for the Next Decade by percentage of Workforce in the Creative Class.
- The United Way of Greater Topeka reports that per capita Topekans give 50% more than the average Kansan and 250% more than the average American.
- Topeka ranks 7th among 75 mid-size cities for volunteers.
In addition to a cost of living that’s 8% to 10% below average, you’ll also find quality neighborhood schools, housing of all types and price ranges, a regional medical center that serves all of northeast Kansas, historic, educational and fun attractions, sidewalks in most neighborhoods, easy access to parks and trails throughout Shawnee County, civic organizations for every interest and myriad arts and culture activities.
We’re also investing in our community with GO Topeka’s Program funded by a half-cent sales tax and a 10-year Street Program designed to provide long-term maintenance for our roadways.